Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I think Combat Arms: Reloaded should improve

Hello.

I have played Combat Arms since June 21, 2010. After Max Payne, it was my 2nd real PC game I ever have played. The game was advertised for "Tons of Guns". While the game was already matured to the point of enjoying it right there, I have enjoyed and welcomed the changes to Combat Arms. Weapons, maps, bug fixes, hackers, Gun Emporium, Combat Arms 3.0, Combat Arms Reboot, etc. No matter how many positive or negative updates Nexon would add to Combat Arms, I never would think it would shut down.

When Nexon announced Reloaded, I didn't know what to think. My first impressions were the new changes were not necessary to the game. I did not care for the new logo or branding of Combat Arms. I was most intrigued for the new graphics, although in the Janus open beta, they were never accessible on my machine, and remain like that today. I loved how Nexon was balancing overpowered weapons and gear, along with allowing players to purchase anything with GP. I was waiting for the day Combat Arms would become truly free to play.

These changes had polarized and disappointed many players. There were many concerns players had after the update, and they had presented Nexon the ways to confront, and even fix them. However, there was also outrage at Nexon that was poorly focused, and when it was, it was players who wanted Nexon to turn back and reverse the update of Reloaded. Nexon had announced they will not revert the changes of the Reloaded update; the reasons were not only they had worked very long on these changes and many players should receive most of them positively, but also it would be counter-intuitive to scrap their hard work and return to an older version of the game they did not even have on hand. These explanations were reasonable, and players would understand where their game was headed. Unfortunately, one may look at what happened and think Nexon gave up and ignored all critiquing and concerns of the players, and either wanted to protect themselves from the players, or give up on the game entirely. The announcement of the service transfer to Valofe Global Ltd. was the penultimate mic drop.

While we are now at Valofe, we should have all noticed Combat Arms: the Classic. This poll should require only 100,000 players to vote, but only those who agreed to the service transfer will be able to vote. While the Facebook page received over one million likes, and the game had six million players on at one time, this number is unfortunately a pipe dream. It is unlikely Valofe will have that many players to vote on it, not only the requirement of the service transfer(can only players who transferred their account vote on it?), but also the dwindling popularity this game once had, not to mention the new domain and website. I had voted on the poll, but I would think it won't happen. I suggest many players should not, as now we can get to actually solving the problem of Combat Arms Reloaded. Now is the time to tell Valofe what is wrong. Quitting now or after the poll will solve nothing, and there will be no more Combat Arms. Nexon only saw Reloaded as Combat Arms taking that step back into the computers of players everywhere. I, personally believe that step was in something foul, but Combat Arms has two feet, not one.

Here are my plans to move forward with Reloaded.

What's hot:
    • Accurate ping: Players ping are more accurate. This is a positive, but I don't want players with more ping to kill faster than players with less ping.
    • FPS Lock: I find this feature very useful, as the game is a lot smoother when I lock the frames at 60.
    • Display FPS Value: I think this is useful, as I don't need to use Fraps to see how many frames I had when not locking my FPS.
    • Integrated web browser: New players will find this invaluable as they read the latest news of Combat Arms from inside the game.
    • Mouse Smoothing: While I don't find this useful, there are many players with better mouse than mine who were unable to use them to play Combat Arms. This is an option that players will be mad if it's taken out.
    • Shooting Range: I enjoy using the range when I want to test a new weapon.
    • Zone3: This was the long-awaited Australian server. In Matchmaking, I think it was removed, but in CUSTOM match, it was still there and allowed Australian players to actually play Combat Arms. I don't see it in the options anymore. There are no positives removing it; only more players who have to wait for their bullets to register.

What's not:
    • Leaving the Messenger to collect dust: Many players overlook the small text bar while waiting for a game to start. This should be made bigger, and attract more attention.
    • Leaving the CUSTOM server browser how it is: I personally believe this is the main deterrent from players being able to play Combat Arms. Yes, Matchmaking is optional, but the CUSTOM selection is dismal compared to the old, and what I think was superior server browser. Nexon went backwards by adding mode selection buttons, rather than having all the game modes on one list. The old server browser was able to do this faster, and didn't have a 10-second refresh for each mode. The new room selection can allow players to find which game has the fastest connection in one game mode. However, the old server browser was, a real server browser; players could select a location closest to them and avoid headaches with their ping. I think the CUSTOM server browser should have some older features added to improve ease of use.
    • Letting players who disconnected from the game host rooms: I know it sounds crazy, but I have saw players who have disconnected from the game not only still in the room, but also can become the host of the room. Since they disconnected, they don't become idle and are not kicked. This has led to some angry players. I have witnessed this myself, as my roommate had connection issues on his WiFi. Not only did he break the record for world's highest ping, he also was still hosting the room, even though he closed the game. However you fix this, please do.
    • Making players leave the room to check their inventory: This is also a large deterrent, along with the UI change and the server browser. The previous interfaces of Combat Arms had their pros and cons. This is a major con for this latest interface. Many players, even when not playing in a game, had the option to outfit and check their inbox while waiting in a room. This small amount of convenience that many players took for granted is gone. I really think Nexon was working on a fix for this, but now even something this simple was ignored.
    • Removing the Clan Backpack: The Clan Backpack was available in the Clan shop. Players had to be in a Level 3 Clan in order to purchase it. It had 3 slots and had a speed reduction of -5%. The Backpack was plain looking and allowed the logo of the Clan to be displayed on it. After Reloaded, it was gone. Why could it not have been balanced and had to be removed? Taking the 3-slot and 4-slot backpacks from direct purchase only made them harder for players who didn't have them to achieve.
    • Removing the video recording settings: The video recorder is quite a useful feature. It allows players to record footage in-game and in the lobby. Why Nexon decided to remove the menu to adjust settings of it I will never know. I want this menu to return to the settings, along with adding an option to record the game at 60 FPS.
    • Taking RARE guns and making them COMMON: The FAMAS G2 SE was a rare weapon in Combat Arms. It could only be obtained for cash only. It was superior to the other FAMAS weapons as it had high damage, a sight, and a suppressor. Since it was rebalanced, its features are negligible and now everyone can buy it for GP. This is a mistake. It is another argument to say Nexon shouldn't have made RARE guns perform like their GP counterparts, but all of them except the FAMAS G2 SE are still RARE. Valofe should make this a RARE gun again.
    • Taking weapons out of the shop for no reason: Many players remember the AK-74U Gold-Plated, but no one sees it. Nexon removed it from the shop for no reason. I guess they didn't want too many gold plated AKs in the game. Why also take out the other black grenade, the M69HE-NL, of the shop? After being in the game so long, there is no reason to remove it. Grenades still kill in one hit. Also, please add the Black Dragon M416 CQB and the Black Dragon TRG-41 to the shop, as the other ones are already in there.

Continued in next post.
    Last edited by Zyorbek; 12-04-2017, 05:00 PM.

What needs to change:
    • Character animations: Throughout most its life, Combat Arms has remained unchanged when it came to the character animations. Most of them are simple and are easy to understand. They have served their purpose for how long they have been in-game. First person, they look great. Third person, ehh. The third person character animations are good representations of what the player on the other computer is doing. In 2008, barely anyone were exploiting them, but in 2017, the tales are too much. The third person animations are unfortunately bugged and should be fixed. The sprinting animation allows the player to tuck their head down and in turn lower their hitbox; this tuck would not concern me if it were gradual, but it is instantaneous and makes sniping and melee more difficult than they should. The next problem is the strafing animation; when players move diagonally, their character moves their gun at an angled position in third person, no matter where they aim with their mouse. I'm not against strafing, I just don't want to be killed by a player who looks like they're glitching when they have no idea what their character is doing. This also extends to the crouching animation, which is even worse when the player is using a sniper rifle. About the sniper rifles, there is a recoil animation that doesn't stop until the player doesn't move. These bugged animations have made legitimate players look like they are playing using glitches. If a player does not hack, glitch, or exploit the game, their character should represent that.
    • Crouch spam: Crouch spam was a huge problem when it was discovered any player could glitch their hitbox halfway into the ground, but not their character. This was immediately fixed, and it was able to be reported on the user abuse forum. Soon, crouching did not produce any glitches with the map one was doing it on, but players still continued to exploit the instant crouching position. The crouching animation was fixed, so that the player was not immediately crouched when they pressed Control. Around this time, it was still a bannable offense. Nexon wanted to stop crouch spamming for good, so they slowed down the crouch if it was done frequently, along with a full halt if pressed too fast. I applaud these changes, but unfortunately more often than I would want, I come in contact with a crouch spammer. Just one is all it takes to absolutely have no point in playing the game. These glitchers are crouching just outside the margin where they would have their crouch hindered- that is an exploit. Not only should these players be banned, the crouch spamming shouldn't exist. I think the solution is to have the speed of the character slow down after each crouch.
    • Graphics: The new Classic graphics are not the same from previous versions of Combat Arms. Is it not possible to add the older graphics to Combat Arms? I don't care if it looked too old! I don't want painted on lights and shadows, exposed geometry, or maps that are simply too dark. Nothing was wrong with how the game looked.
    • Hardcore: Hardcore most likely came from Pure Combat Mode. Pure Combat Mode allowed players to use classic guns and gear to play in matches most likely geared towards competitive players. Nexon listened to players when they wanted this mode to be inserted into the Clan server, which I think it was. I think what doomed this mode was the fact barely anyone was playing it. I think if other modes were under it like Elimination, or other non-round based game modes, more players would enjoy non-cash influenced gaming at the cost of equipment limitation. Hardcore can now only be played in Ranked matches. Not only Ranked settings limit the already limited Hardcore settings, but now even less players will consider playing Hardcore. Nexon also exercised gross negligence in exactly what guns and gear to add to Hardcore; nearly half of the guns and gear in the game are considered Hardcore equipment. Most of the firearms make each other obsolete, and a select few can make other firearm categories not worth using at all. The available gear also does this, to a lesser extent. While backpacks are not able to be equipped in Hardcore, cosmetic backpacks can be equipped. The community and Valofe should really discuss what equipment should be Hardcore, although at this point, maybe discussing if Hardcore should even be a feature in the game would be more constructive. I mean, cash weapons perform like GP weapons, so...
    • Kicking: Vote kicks have been how legitimate players stop team killers, hackers, glitchers, and harassing from torching the room they are in. However, throughout Combat Arms' life, players will use anything in game beyond its intended purpose. Kicking was, and is very much abused in Combat Arms. Players who are illegitimate should fear the F5, but no legitimate player should have to worry about being kicked. The removal of the Elite and Super Elite Moderator is one of those moments I thought would make the game better, but now there are no moderators, but plenty of kickers. If Combat Arms will have the players agree on a vote kick, then all players should have to agree. If not, no one should be able to kick for 5 minutes. However, I also think some game modes need a vote kick feature; One Man Army, Last Man Standing, and Spy Hunt. One Man Army does not allow players to kick other players from the room because there are no teams, but that allows hackers to play without being kicked. I would think Last Man Standing would also have the same predicament. Spy Hunt should allow players and spies to kick hackers before they come back. I have saw players be shot or stabbed and lose only 1 HP. Why wait for hackers to come back and not do anything until then? Now is the time to act. This is a pivotal moment for Valofe.

Continued in next post.
    Last edited by Zyorbek; 12-04-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Overpowered weapons: Many guns have been rebalanced to their GP counterparts. Unfortunately, the GP versions were already overpowered. I do not like to see players use guns with no recoil. The two weapons that are grossly overpowered in my opinion are the M416 and the P90. These weapons have little to no recoil, and have high accuracy when moving. They are also combined with crouch spamming more often than not. Why have they remained overpowered for this long? Nexon wanted to make every gun balanced, yet these two families of weapons have not. They foster anti-competitive gameplay which is not compatible with Reloaded. They should be nerfed, The M416 should have lower moving accuracy and be applied an actual recoil pattern. The P90 should have its mobility lowered and have more erratic recoil applied. I really want Valofe to work on these two weapons, as they are the bane of many players. If Valofe can work on these two guns and make them balanced, they will show players they want great players, not great weapons.
      • Quarantine: Quarantine Regen was very popular for Combat Arms. Now, it is not. Nexon made the Infected stronger and faster, the Human slower, and the explosives kids toys. Sure, I was tired of jumping into a game and seeing the same thing happen for 9 rounds, but Nexon didn't know Quarantine Regen is available on maps other than Hell Gate. I think the explosives should be restored, yes, but I think that will not solve the problems Quarantine Regen has. This mode saw the winning side become the Humans and not the Infected, when really there should not have no preferences. I think Quarantine Regen should spin off into two modes. This other mode will be called Quarantine. The Infected will not regain HP, but have 500 HP and insane armor, along with large Stamina. Unless players have a firing squad on hand, there is no stopping the Infected. Explosives will work, yes, but more like a ding than a dent. Guns would push them back. This mode will rely on teamwork, and cunning, but not a lot of agility is needed. Those who survive Human should be rewarded more. No mutagens will be allowed in Quarantine mode. About the current Quarantine Regen, I think the solution is to bring back the old, lower HP values of the Infected, and increase the explosive damage. If Valofe does this, they will have two Quarantine modes that capture the highlights of the game mode that were both lost on many sides- the side where teamwork and cunning were the keys to victory, and the side where ordnance was king. Both of them I would enjoy, and I would think many players would.
      • Semi-auto Sniper Rifles: Players have used many weapons in Combat Arms. Among those weapons are the large selection of Sniper Rifles. Most Sniper Rifles can be put into two categories; bolt-action Sniper Rifles and semi-automatic Sniper Rifles. The bolt-action Sniper Rifles are known for great accuracy and high damage. Many of them kill in one shot- the ones that don't are specialized for high accuracy or fire rate. The other category would be semi-automatic Sniper Rifles. They do a lot less damage, but have a faster fire rate. They are very polarizing weapons to use because many players think they are better than the bolt-action Sniper Rifles, yet are longer to kill with; one bullet for an average bolt-action versus two on a semi-automatic. While there are exceptions like the M107CQ that is a semi-automatic Sniper Rifle that players don't get mad when using it, I want to talk about the weaker, but more faster semi-automatic Sniper Rifles. They are not used a lot, but when they are, players are immediately trying to vote kick them. I know the solution to fix them: make semi-automatic Sniper Rifles kill in one hit at close range. I'm talking at least half of their effective range. The damage would drop off after that and would do their regular amount of damage. After this, more players will use them for close engagement while using a bolt-action at range. There would be backlash if measures are not put in the game to balance these newly balanced weapons out, so that is why Valofe should add an option to have players block semi-auto Sniper Rifles from their room. Players who don't want to play against semi-auto Sniper Rifles can avoid them very simply.
      • Sniper Rifle glitching: Players have been able to switch their weapons very fast, in case the battle would change objectives. However, players have been using the shortcomings of this feature unfortunately. Many bolt-action Sniper Rifles have high damage, but a slow fire rate, In the wee years of Combat Arms, players who used powerful Sniper Rifles like the L96A1 could switch their weapon rapidly to counteract the fire rate. Obviously, this was not in the interest of Nexon, so many of the powerful bolt-action Sniper Rifles had their drawing animations lengthened so they were slower than the actual fire rate of the rifle. However, this did not stop players from continuing to do the discredited practice, as now there were claims doing this quick swapping would increase the accuracy of the Sniper Rifle. One would have to think Nexon had to have fixed this when they heard about it, but there has not been any official statement. On top of that, there are many players who have Sniper Rifles with exceptional accuracy who continue to swap their weapons anyway. Nexon could fix the rapid swapping on mines, but they chose not to do it on Sniper Rifles. Valofe, you must fix the glitching. Players who do this glitching not only exploit the draw animation, but may also gain increased accuracy doing it. Even worse, a player doing these switching gains significant advantages over one that does not. While there are a number of players who use their weapons as intended, many do not and instead of them being punished, nothing happens to them. I want the people at Valofe to remove the accuracy gain from the illicit practice. Since it may be impossible to add the chamber animation to an already fired bolt-action Sniper Rifle after a round has been fired, I would also want the draw animations of all the Sniper Rifles to be lengthened by quite a lot. This would deter glitchers from ever using Sniper Rifles again, but also have those that have used them in a legitimate fashion continue to play the game without being obsolete.
      • Add a User Abuse forum: I know it is possible to report hackers, but does that mean everything else but hackers is fine? I think a User Abuse forum should be added to your website. There are many glitchers and harassment in the game, and none of it will go away on its own. Scammers and spammers are also a threat. A user abuse forum should be added, along with a punishment page to see what things would happen to those players.

Conclusion:

I enjoy some features of Reloaded and would think it is counterproductive to move back, but I also think a few things should be looked at properly. Many of what I suggested will improve my experience playing Combat Arms, and may improve other players. I avoided things like moderators or operative characters, because those deserve their own posts and would take away from what I would want in Combat Arms. I would want Valofe to not only read this post, but would encourage other forum members to add discussion and discuss what should be changed in Combat Arms. Combat Arms might only get one major update, and if it's not the Classic, then it should be something even better.

Comment

Thank you Zyorbek , it will be very useful. Valofe needs more post as yours
        The weapon does not make the player

Comment

nice, but a lot of time to implement all that.
          Good job

Comment

Very nice series of posts.

Comment

Working...
            X