Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementing Skins for Weapons

THIS IS A REPOST FROM THE OLD FORUM
    The post is created by AlbaniaRamis / i don´t know his actual name right now.
    I strongly support his idea implementing this in Combat Arms thats why i make the repost now.

"Background
    What's up everyone. This thread is my attempt to make weapon skins a viable idea in the new UI. One of the 'loudest' complaints that the playerbase has recently made is that we simply have too many weapon variants, and that CA's way of adding new skin variants is counter-intuitive. The upcoming CORE items will be a perfect example of this flawed method. Players that have already spent $30+ on a weapon are forced to pay double for a new skin. With CA's launch over 8 years ago, weapon customization was advertised as a unique feature to the game. Skins would bring us back to the goal of 'advanced weapon customization'.

Goals
    - Provide players with a fun and simple method to update their current inventory
    - Additional incentive to draw new players who are used to skinned weapons in other shooters
    - Add variety to weapon arsenal in casual/competitive modes
    - Remove clutter of multiple weapons and make a skin UI that's easy for new players to use
    - Introduce a fair way to continue monetization of CA

Concept Images
    I only had a few images from the recent dev blogs to work with, so excuse any inconsistencies in menus. Keep in mind the UI may have radically changed after the dev blog posts.

So this is the main loadout menu. I added a tab that takes you directly to your weapon skin inventory. This is easy to spot for new players and falls in line with the method of changing your other cosmetics/weapons/functions/etc. I didn't do much here. Do note that any skins that are currently equipped on a weapon are indicated in a triangle shape by that item.

I was actually really pleased with the way I organized the skin menu. Incredibly easy to navigate. You have a simple list of all your skins. Each skin can be previewed on your equipped gun. Tabs are still sortable, and you can quickly see the duration of each skin. Remember, the new UI's goal is for players to quickly equip what they need to get in-game as fast as possible. I think this menu accomplishes that goal--what do you guys think?

Finally, I threw together a basic shop menu for these skins. Don't take the prices seriously--I didn't change them at all. To encourage the use of these skins, some of them SHOULD be available for a reasonable amount of GP. ~300-500 GP/day for the most basic skins. In my opinion, the bronze/silver/gold ranking system should apply to these skins as well. Rare skins can be provided in NX Supply Cases to support CA's future. Examples of 'rare' skins would be gold/brightly colored/more detailed camouflage/carbon fiber/etc. But these skins would provide NO stat bonuses. Not even the NX ones.

Challenges
    The most glaring challenge to an implementation of skins is not in the UI. Rather, the team would have to figure out a way to make the engine apply any skin to a weapon that is currently 'baked' with a single texture. Each skin can serve as an 'overlay' texture to any weapon. Perhaps these skins could be coded as a new weapon modification? I'm leaving the solution up to the professionals

So what do you guys think? The team has been taking our feedback very seriously this year--I'd love to see something like this in-game! "

Original Post created by AlbaniaRamis

Old Vote: from 141 votes 134 positive and 7 negative

I´d implement it just a litle bit different: Id just use the already existing modification settings like "Scope, Silencer, Clip, ..." and add the modification "Camo".

But yeah again great work to AlbaniaRamis I hope this suggestion will finally find its attention under the new lead of Valofe.
    Last edited by hi21hallo; 12-22-2017, 07:58 PM.

Nice thread and suggestion.
    I was thinking about the wording on the buttons, "Weapon Skin" could be changed into "Skins" or "Item Skins" to also accomodate the current gear skins (camo) and any new ones that may come.

Comment

Amazing idea. I agree totally with u. It'll be a great feature in-game. Maybe stop to put versions of the same weapon and try with skins

• • • • • • • • •
      ___imJIDIC | Peruvian Player
      ---
      [ Web | Fan Page | YouTube | Twitch | Twitter | Discord ]

Comment

Working...
      X